Wednesday, July 7, 2010

The Language of Love

As some of you know, I recently got back from a mission trip I took to the Dominican Republic. I have taken one other mission trip to Arlington, Texas. They are obviously completely different places, one is all concrete and apartment complexes (Which is Arlington) and one is made up of trees and tin houses (Sad, isn't it?). There is one difference I'd like to point, that being the languages, Arlington being mainly English and the Dominican being Spanish.

I was pretty worried about the language barrier in the Dominican. There were one or two kids in our backyard Bible club we did in Arlington, and that was hard enough, but we, also, didn't have the translators that we had in the Dominican.

Once we arrived at the work site on the first day, I headed up and started working. We were building the second story to a church my group had built a few years ago. In the morning half of churches group did VBS with the kids while the other half worked on the church. My half of the group had the kids on the second and fourth day, so that night I heard all the good stories about the kids from the other group. It may me a little less anxious, but I was still a little worried. I'm not good with kids that speak English, so them speaking Spanish didn't help.

After the first day my group had the kids, I had basically decided that I liked the work better then the VBS. Well, I guess I shouldn't say that I necessarily liked is better, it was just easier.
One of the most tiring things I did all week was playing with those kids. Don't take that wrong, I loved hanging out with those kids, it was just exhausting.

I'm not going into too much details in this post because the emotions of the kids would take pages and pages to explain, if explanation is even possible.

Anyways, what I'm getting to, is that after a week with those kids, I have learned one main thing (along with thousands of little things) and that is: everyone in the entire world has one language in common, the language of Love.

No comments:

Post a Comment